Thursday, June 24, 2010

I guess I didn't get the memo

There is so much I want to post: Japan, nails, shopping, iPhone 4, moving...and more Japan. There's never enough about Japan. But all I can offer to the Internet right now are some photos from my recent quick trip to Dallas and Fort Worth, Texas.

Photobucket
Needless to say, it was hot. After nearly dying in the heat from walking around their garden for like, five minutes, here I am inside the Nasher Sculpture Center in Dallas with a Jeff Koons piece. The guard could tell I wanted a picture of it, so he kindly offered to take one of me with it. Thank you, kind guard!

Photobucket
My grandmother invited me to go to Dallas with her for the weekend. One of the things she wanted to do was to see Idina Menzel, who was set to perform with the Dallas Symphony Orchestra. My aunt is the assistant conductor there (her left arm is in the picture below behind Idina Menzel), so she hooked it up with 6th row tickets. And by Idina Menzel, I mean, RACHEL BERRY'S BIRTH MOTHER. Here are some Dallasian (?) ladies, all dressed up to go to the symphony! This was quite a different crowd from my previous night at the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.

Photobucket
Idina Menzel is so lovely, so humble, so beautiful in person. I didn't recognize some of her earlier Broadway songs, but she sang Glee songs--"Funny," "Poker Face," and "Defying Gravity." She also sang a lovely lullaby she made up for her son, Walker. My aunt continued the stellar hook-up with a backstage greeting and photo! I will keep the photo to myself because I look way too giddy in it. I mean, this is Rachel Berry's mother, everyone. I met Rachel Berry's mother. She made out with Mr. Shuester. She sang "Poker Face" with Rachel. WTF? My life is too sweet.

Photobucket
The first night, we stayed at the Ritz Carlton (a.k.a. Ritz Carleton Popperstein). That was the good life; I was most impressed by their bathroom and breakfast. The second night, a family friend, Teddy, generously let us stay at his house in Fort Worth. It was basically an upgrade from the Ritz (surround sound in every room, including bathrooms?), and I made breakfast with his fresh ingredients and top-of-the-line cookware. There was even a Totoro coffee cup!

Photobucket
Teddy lives down the street from Fort Worth's Museum of Modern Art and the Kimbell Art Museum. I like to think that he's neighbors with Ando Tadao and Louis Kahn. I love Ando's buildings. Here is a famous Anselm Kiefer piece in its own Ando enclave.

Photobucket
After cycling 63 miles (!!!) in Italy, Texas (last week he rode in Dublin, Texas, lol) Teddy took us to Fort Worth's stockyard district. Our trip would have been so dull without him. He took us to a delicious burger joint, and one store that had amazing cowboy boots. Like, the Chanel of cowboy boots. You can custom pick your leather; I liked the purple ridgeback alligator and turquoise stingray leathers (above; blurry closeup of the bubble-y side here).

Though I absolutely enjoy and appreciate visiting other parts of the country, it just makes me love Chicago more. I'm so glad to be back, and not in insane heat all the time. The one place that will probably never have that kind of effect on me though is Yokohama. There are so many Japan photos to sift through; I haven't even finished uploading them onto Flickr. But hopefully some more of those are coming up next! See you all here in like, three weeks, unless I run into Miguel Cabrera again. lol.

No comments: